Ministry of Labour: New Certificate Training Standards
Ontario’s Ministry of Labour has released two new certification training standards expected to take effect in early 2015. The standards build on existing certification training requirements, and aim to ensure consistent, high-quality training delivered by qualified instructors who meet specific delivery requirements.
Under the 2014 JHSC Certification Training Program Standard,
• Part One training would be 3 days in duration, instead of the current 2 or 3 days
• Part Two training would be 2 days, and must be taken within 6 months of Part One. Currently, some Part Two training is available in one day
• 1-day refresher training would be required every 3 years for JHSC members certified under the new standard.
Under the 2014 JHSC Certification Training Provider Standard, training providers would be required to apply to the ministry to deliver an approved JHSC certification training program. Among the highlights:
• training provider requirements that outline compliance with legislation, insurance, course materials, learning needs, alternate delivery modes and evaluation
• training instructor requirements that outline qualifications and delivery
• training evaluator requirements
• a code of ethics.
The Workplace Safety and Prevention Services (WSPS) provides certification training. For more information visit their website found here.