Residence Inn by Marriott Vaughan
Residence Inn Vaughan hotel is Marriott's newest generation of extended stay hotels! This Vaughan hotel is in a great location within the Interchange Complex next to Dave & Busters, IKEA, AMC Theatres and Boston Pizza. Located just minutes away from Canada's Wonderland and Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre. Our hotel in Vaughan is also very close to Canlan Ice Sports - York Rink, Vaughan Sports Village, Pearson International Airport (YYZ) and Downtown Toronto. Enjoy all of the comforts of home in one of our spacious Suites with fully equipped Kitchen, Living Area, designer decor and FREE Wireless High Speed Internet. Residence Inn Vaughan starts your day with a Complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast. Unwind in our Indoor Pool and Whirlpool or on-site Fitness Centre. If you are looking to hold a meeting, our state-of-the-art Executive Boardroom is perfect for small gatherings! One of the newest and friendliest among Vaughan hotels, you will feel like you are in a home away from home.
Residence Inn by Marriott Vaughan
Government Relations > Legislative Updates > Beverage Alcohol > Liquor Licences
PRINT Print page  TEXT SIZE -+/-+

Liquour Licences

Liquor licences are issued by the Registrar of Alcohol and Gaming, including Special Occasion Permits issued by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. A Liquour Sales Licence endorsement is for on-premise sale, service and consumption of beverage alcohol. (e.g., at bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.).

Types of Liquor Sales Licences

The AGCO issues eight (8) types of endorsements, seven of which allow liquor sales licensees to sell and serve alcohol under specific conditions. Endorsements are additions to the liquor sales licence. Licensees may hold more than one endorsement but endorsements are only valid when combined with an active liquor sales licence.

Mini-Bar Endorsement:
A mini-bar endorsement permits the sale of beverage alcohol from a mini-bar dispenser in a room rented by guests in a hotel or motel which has licensed premises.

Room Service Endorsement:
A room service endorsement permits the sale and service of beverage alcohol to persons registered as guests in a facility that rents overnight accommodation such as a hotel or motel provided the facility has a liquor sales licence.

Bring Your Own Wine  Endorsement:
A bring-your-own wine endorsement authorizes the holder of a liquor sales licence for a restaurant or for a banquet room located in a hotel or motel to permit patrons to bring unopened bottles of commercially made wine into the restaurant or banquet room to which the licence applies, for their own consumption. Detailed information on Bring Your Own Wine endorsements can be found here.

More types of  Liquor Sales Licence Endorsements.

Application for a Liquour Sales Licence Endorsement.

Hotel/Motel Lobby Areas

Liquor may now be sold, served and consumed in hotel and motel lobbies that have been licensed. A specific regulatory exemption now permits the lobbies of hotels and motels to be covered by a liquor sales licence, including having them added to existing licences. More information can be found here 


Guidelines for Sampling
Lisensing of Wahrooms, Stairways, Hallways & other Areas
Pricing & Promotion of Liquor
You & the Liquour Laws Plus


Liquor sales licence applications to be posted online as of September 30th - Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Effective September 30th, 2013, The AGCO will no longer require posting of newspaper ads to inform communities about a liquor application, as they will now be able to obtain this information from the AGCO’s website. Placarding in the storefront windows of establishments is unchanged. For more information read here.

Changes to Liquor Laws - Friday, August 12, 2011

Attorney General Chris Bentley is proposing changes to Ontario’s alcohol laws that will remove barriers and restrictions for special events, festivals, and licensed establishments, including allowing all-inclusive vacation packages to be sold in Ontario.  The GTHA is participating in the consultation process. The Ministry is interested in hearing your feedback. Responses can be sent directly to the Ministry at   For more information read the Ministry press release and backgrounder.